On Wearing a Poppy

Between the crosses, row on row . . .

I’ve decided to wear a poppy this year.


In the past, the November 11th commemoration of Canadians who died in past wars has generally been conflicting for me—as it has long been for many who were raised in pacifist faith communities. Some have worn a pin coloured similarly to a poppy with the motto, “To remember is to work for peace.” Others have worn both the pin and the poppy. Still others have chosen (and this has been me in the past) to basically ignore the day and its ceremonial marches, displays of medals and laying of wreaths at cenotaphs.

But it never felt right. Was I dishonouring the grief of families whose loved ones died in war, who believed unequivocally in the righteousness, the nobility of the cause that cost them their lives? It felt less like I was protesting the madness that killed them and more like I was refusing to acknowledge the pain war had exacted from so many Canadians.

From now until November 11th, I’ll wear the poppy in public and I’ll attend whatever commemorative event my town has planned. And if I’m pressed to support this choice scripturally, I guess I’ll quote Romans 12:15 - “Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn.”

Because it’s not about glorifying the military. It’s only about a single day to remember that parents lost children, wives lost husbands and all those who have suffered such tragedy know that the agony can linger for a generation or more. 

“Mourn with those who mourn.”

And actually, one day to remember when I have 364 days to “work for peace” seems more than a generous arrangement. The tragedy would be that the opportunity granted by the 364 days might be wasted.

Perhaps a pin is needed to commemorate lost chances for peace. I would suggest the delphinium which “is a symbol of infinite possibility and believing that anything is possible. Stretch your current beliefs and keep reaching for the stars, one baby step at a time.” 


Might be difficult to turn this into a corsage, let alone a pin.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Please hand me that Screwdriver!

Do I dare eat a peach?

A Sunday morning reflection on Sunday mornings