Fortunate, lucky, delightful and content New Year

 

I'm sitting in my recliner here on January 1, 2022 and wondering if there are synonyms for happy that I could use to express that wish in a more appropriate way. Word suggests glad, fortunate, lucky, delightful, content and so from that list I pick and say, Fortunate, lucky, delightful and content New Year to you all. You and we deserve at least a taste of it after 2021, don't we?

And are the admonitions of the sages enough to keep our keels even should 2022 be a carbon copy? Keep your chin up? Look on the bright side? In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your paths straight? Take heart by remembering that many are experiencing the same afflictions you are … minus food and shelter from the cold?

Agnes and I could complain without ceasing. For me, it's been a year and two months now since a complicated pneumonia put me in hospital, and the aftermath for my breathing is worrisome, plus a stupid act on my part did my back a nasty number and turned my posture from an exclamation mark to a question mark. (This metaphor works on so many levels, eh?)  

For Agnes, it's been coming to grips with profound hearing loss and the frustration of being in company without knowing what's being said, plus consternation with hearing aids that either don't work or work badly. And, of course, aging generally and the requirement of all humans that they taste at least a modicum of arthritis before their heavenly rest … hasn't forgotten about us.

Most difficult, though has been the physical separation COVID has cemented between us and Cynthia and James in Ajijic, Mexico, but thank human ingenuity for making video communication possible.

hesitated before writing the above for obvious reasons. But "for everything there is a season" has worked for me in coming to grips with the urge to despair. In fact, Agnes and I are OK, even having some fun here and there. While we lament the habit-forming nature of this new, digital world, we are thankful for books and TV and Ipads, even social media for creating diversions from the sameness of days-after-days in physical isolation. Agnes is learning Dutch; mastering the throat-clearing G, now. 


How to walk in Christ's footsteps with its heavy admonitions to turn the other cheek, love your enemy, etcetera, is probably the most significant struggle for us who know that language well. To be like Job's friends with their "you (we) must have done something wrong" gets us nowhere; volunteering (as Agnes does regularly) in the food bank and the thrift store, donating what you don't need for survival to help those for whom survival is uncertain, phoning family and friends regularly to make sure they're OK, these things may save us from despair. As that famous saying (that's never been heard 'til now) goes "If you can't move the earth a mile, move it a foot … forward." (Pun intended.)

And finally, I repeat: Fortunate, lucky, delightful and content New Year to you All









Comments

  1. Wishing you a wonderful new year, with FEWER challenges (something I wish for us all)! Thanks for a terrific New Year's letter, George. You should hire yourself out for those of us much more pedantic and prosaic. Tom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wishing you both a New Year as full of positivity as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is Agnes shuffling a deck of cards? If she is planning a game of Cuss Rummy ( oh,oh; I mean Rummy 2000 :-) - a Mom Zach inside joke) could you invite us over. I almost got Gretta's family to play it last evening. If mother Zach were living, I would move back to Rosthern just to challenger her. Maybe you could make it a bit more enticing, especially now that you have planted the seed in my mind and emotions.
    As the others have already commented, I always enjoy your play with words, and play it is with you. With me it is a struggle, despite my verbal diarrhea.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Please hand me that Screwdriver!

Do I dare eat a peach?

A Sunday morning reflection on Sunday mornings